As I started to listen to podcasts more recently in my freelance career, I’ve noticed a trend. Some podcasts have a Five Minute Friday where they freestyle about some random topic or list a few cool things they discovered or learned that week. Well, I’m not about to start podcasting anytime soon, but thought it might be interesting to do a blog version of that. So here goes–here are five things I discovered or found interesting this week.
- I listened to 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing on a run this week, which I would definitely recommend for anyone interested in anything. Here’s a nice summary of the 22 laws from Cris Kowalcyzk’s blog: https://blog.kowalczyk.info/articles/22-marketing-laws.html
- I’m teaching myself Unity game development with the goal of publishing an iOS game later this year and the book Unity in Action seems to be the best option for those just beginning as it covers the most current Unity version 5 and got good marks for being easy to follow and understand. It covers 3d pretty heavily, but has some good information on 2d game development as well.
- In case you didn’t hear. Er, I guess I should say, in case you care…Fort4Fitness decided to host a full marathon this year. If you’re looking for a new challenge for the year, get yourself signed up. And find me at the starting line!
- Another part of freelancing is ensuring your data is safe and backed up. As I tried to find the best solution, I came across Seagate’s Cloud Storage devices. It makes it incredibly easy to setup a drive that’s accessible remotely. Data is encrypted before being transferred over the network and then decrypted by Seagate’s software once it’s copied over. And if you use CrashPlan, you can backup NAS devices. So far, it’s been working great.
- Did you know chewing and talking cleans the wax out of ears? Me either… But now we both do, thanks to the Stuff You Should Know podcast.
I didn’t get a chance to put together any kind of top lists for 2015, but here are a few favorites and statistics relating to my life in 2015.
- Songs played – 9,419
- Most listened to album (some of my go-to working music)
- Yo La Tengo – They Shoot, We Score
- Most listened to song (don’t knock it ’till you try it)
- Justin Bieber – What Do You Mean
- Top five albums in no particular order
- Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
- American Wrestlers – Self Titled
- Helios – Yume
- The Japanese House – Clean
- A Sunny Day in Glasgow – Planning Weed Like It’s Acid / Life Is Loss
- Top five movies in no particular order
- It Follows
- The Martian
- The Big Short
- Ex Machina
- Me Earl and the Dying Girl
- Top TV Series
- Better Call Saul
- The Walking Dead
- Silicon Valley
- Miles run – 1,916
- Races run – 15
- 5ks – 5
- 4 Milers – 2
- 5 Milers – 1
- 10ks – 3
- 20ks – 1
- HMs – 2
- Marathons – 1
- Fastest Marathon – 3:16:02
- Fastest Half Marathon – 1:30:35
- Fastest 10k – 39:44
- Fastest 5k – 18:54
Interesting, but long article about Zappos CEO, Tony Hsieh attempting to revolutionize corporate structure and operations. I especially like the part about Lou Taylor Pucci filming a movie in his shanty town, er “Airstream Park”. I think he’s onto something with the idea of eliminating people managers, but I know it won’t work for everyone.
Read the Article Here
2014 was an OK year for music. Seeing Sondre Lerche in Chicago was fun. I was left craving more catchy, sing-along pop music for some reason at the end of the year. There was lots of focus on textures and qualities of the music more so than its actual content. Looking forward to what 2015 has to offer.
- Sondre Lerche – Please
- Kevin Drew – Darlings
- Tokyo Police Club – Forcefield
- A Sunny Day in Glasgow – Sea When Absent
- Purfume Genius – Too Bright
- Chad Vangaalen – Shrink Dust
- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Days of Abandon
- Slow Magic – How to Run Away
- Real Estate – Atlas
- D’angelo – Black Messiah
skaters – manhattan
vacationer – relief
blonde summer – high times
tycho – awake
warpaint – warpaint
the fresh and onlys – house of spirits
patrick park – love like swords
echo & the bunnymen – meteorites
lana del ray – ultraviolence
braid – no coast
kishi bishi – lighght
odesza – in return
hooray for earth – racy
bahamas – bahamas is afie
weezer – everything will be alright in the end
the jazz june – after the earthquake
gemma hayes – bones + longing
damien jurado – brothers and sisters of the eternal son
angel olsen – burn your fire for no witness
This new Christopher Nolan movie looks like it might be pretty great.
Interesting design on this new Blackmagic camera. Is equipped with interchangeable sensors so you can upgrade as newer and better ones are released, making it a little more future proof. Wish I had the time/interest to go out and shoot video these days with all of the great new stuff out there.
Nice Reddit thread where people discuss their favorite pieces of art.
This is huge for those looking to get into trading with a smaller account. Normally–if you are trading with less than $2k–commissions will eat up your account and make it almost impossible to do anything except for buy-and-hold (that and the PDT rules). Without a desktop app, I don’t see it being a viable option for real day-trading, but could be a great tool for beginners looking to get their feet wet with doing a few trades a week.
Awesome six minute preview of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Can’t decide if I want to see this or The Wolf of Wall Street on Christmas.
After compiling my top list of 2013 movies, I realized there’s a lot of good stuff I have yet to see. So, this list may change before years end, depending on how many of these I can squeeze in over the next couple of weeks. With that said, here are my favorite films from 2013 so far.
- The Place Beyond the Pines
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Upstream Color
- Enough Said
- The Great Gatsby
- Stuck in Love
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- The World’s End
- This is the End
- The Way Way Back
- Drinking Buddies
- Side Effects
- The Brass Teapot
- Warm Bodies
- Man of Steel
- We’re the Millers
- The Heat
- Identity Theif
- Pacific Rim
- Girl Most Likely
- Touchy Feely
- The Hangover Part III
Partial list of 2013 movies I have yet to see: